My husband and I recently spent ten days in Hawaii (Maui / Wailea) sans our little man. This was the longest we've been away from him - it was hard but the 'just us' was much needed.
The trip was especially sweet as the majority of our time there was part of a work sales incentive trip. Who doesn't love a free trip to Hawaii?!
We were grateful to enjoy time at two top Wailea resorts with a day visit to a property where we stayed for our babymoon... it was during this trip that we fell in love with the island and was one of the best vacations we had as a couple.
Below are some of my notes and thoughts about a few properties (all on the beach), many of which I've shared with my own friends!
Andaz Maui at Wailea (Hyatt)
- Their brunch at Ka'ana Kitchen was hands-down the best of all three properties - hand-pressed juices, amazing hot and warm stations
- Restaurants: Morimoto, Ka'ana Kitchen, Bumbye Beach Bar (I had the Ahi Poke three days in a row), Lehua lounge
- Four gorgeous infinity pools, all on different levels
- The insanely narrow bathroom was enough to call out - there simply wasn't enough space for me and my 6'3 husband to move around when getting ready
- The turn down service includes a fresh jug of filtered water, because, hydration
- Enjoyed of the best massages I've ever had at awili spa
- One of the top properties on the island
- Head to the adult-only Serenity Pool with one of the best swim up bars and you will never want to leave - the panoramic island view while enjoying a blueberry mojito and complimentary amenity ever hour is just heaven
- The lanai had lush furniture, perfect for taking a rest in your robe and flip flops while enjoying alfresco morning coffee from your Nespresso
- Love the create-your-own smoothie option for breakfast
- We loved their gym and equipment - somehow running on a treadmill in their alfresco workout area makes the time a smidge more enjoyable
- Restaurants include: Wolfgang Puck's Spago, Ferraro's, Duo
- Enjoy a nightcap or pre-dinner cocktails in the Lobby Lounge (may I suggest the Thai-garita) while enjoying a live hula demonstration at sunset or late-night music
Grand Wailea (Waldorf Astoria)
- One of the largest resorts on the island (nearly 800 rooms!) wonderful to stroll through the bright, manicured grounds
- Nine interconnecting pools, including an adult pool (because quiet), lazy river, a waterfall, slide, water elevator - perfect for families
- Spend an afternoon at Spa Grande, the largest in Hawaii, a sprawling spa with access to a hydrotherapy circuit of healing spas in addition to top treatments (tip: walk in your robe to the spa's lanai on the upper spa level to watch a peaceful sunset). It's wonderful.
- Restaurants: Humuhumunukunukuapua’a, Bistro Molokini, Grand Dining Room (brunch/breakfast), Volcano poolside bar
- Found my favorite acai bowl at Cafe Kula - the Grand Bowl (Strawberry | Banana | Blueberries | Haupia Yogurt House Made Granola | Honey | Coconut Chips) - on my babymoon, I had it every day and had to go back this time
- For me, they have the best art collection of all the properties - the highlight being nine Fernando Botero sculptures scattered through the lobby - grab a drink in the Botero bar and enjoy the fleshy views